Now a moot point. The two Mistral-class have been sold to Egypt.
The fate of the two Mistral-class ships built for Russia remains up in the air. Potential buyers have included Canada, NATO, China and even the US. There has even been a suggestion that France may simply choose to scuttle the ships as a cost savings matter.
So the question is, should Canada be looking to purchase the ships?
My answer: Yes we should!
- They are not budgeted for, but Canada is a rich country that can easily afford them.
- The vessels are incomplete, meaning that Canadianization is actually simplified.
- They would offer a massive boost in capability for the RCN, to be used in:
- Disaster Relief
- Emergency evacuation of Canadian Citizens from at-risk areas
- Force deployment for military operations
- Canada has made a point of drawing a hard line on the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Buying the ships built for them is a continuation of that policy.
- The ships were built with Arctic operations in mind, which certainly suits Canada.
Feel free to add comments.